Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Greetings and Salutations

Recently, one of my facebook friends posted an article about the evils of skim milk. Contrary to conventional wisdom, this article depicted whole milk as infinitely superior to skim. It described skim milk's terrible, fat-causing effects, and its unappealing blue hue if suspicious chemicals aren't added during pasteurization. (I knew it! All those overweight Americans with their glasses of skim milk and their oddly blue teeth! So glad that mystery is solved.) Of course, this article totally contradicted all we've been taught about the supremacy of low-fat dairy. So, what to do? Believe the article and shun all of those government recommendations?* Or write it off as another bogus health trend (Snackwells, anyone)?

Seriously??!?! Either of those options would be way too easy for this girl who is always looking for a project. I had to research the hell out of it.

Well, I actually did need to figure out the answer. I went to school for this. This is what I do for a living. I even teach college students about this. Yes, I get paid to talk about nutrition and I didn't know the answer.

I thought that if I felt confused and frustrated by this article and the constant swirl of contradictory info out there, how does the average consumer get by? And that's the story of the birth of this blog.

Still wondering about battle skim vs. whole? You'll just have to tune in next time.

*Not always a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment